Herbalism Series: Foundations
Through this semester-long course students will learn how herbs can benefit many acute and chronic conditions including respiratory infections, digestive illness, ear infections, sore throats, auto-immunity, skin conditions, stress, chronic pain, insomnia, mood imbalances, deep immune issues, thyroid problems, heart health, lymph flow, urinary infections, and women’s health.
Students will learn about herbal actions and get hands-on experience preparing and using herbal remedies to take home including herbal infusions, decoctions, tinctures, infused oils, salves, medicated soaps, liniments, syrups, herbal honey, skin creams, and lip balms.
The semester series also includes registration for all four of our in-depth, one day specialty topics:
- Healing Depression, Anxiety & Brain Fog with Plants (can also be taken as a standalone course)
- Medical Cannabis: How it Works (can also be taken as a standalone course)
- Western Herbal Energetics & Constitutions (can also be taken as a standalone course)
- Herbal Skin Creams & Lip Balms (can also be taken as a standalone course)
Additionally, this course includes three field classes:
- a field trip in the Sandia foothills focusing on plant identification and medicinal uses;
- a field trip in the Rio Grande Bosque focusing on plant identification, medicinal uses, and land stewardship;
- a morning of field work doing native medicinal plant restoration and habitat improvement with the Yerba Mansa Project (optional);
- (Additional field trips are offered through the spring semester Wild Herbs of New Mexico Field Series and the Advanced Herbalist Group.)
More extras included: Through this course we will build a booklet of reference handouts from each class that includes a wealth of herbal information, remedy making instructions, recipes, and more. Each student will also receive a complementary United Plant Savers Student Membership including a copy of the Journal of Medicinal Plant Conservation, acccess to online educational materials, and discounts on herbal purchases.
The cost for semester enrollment includes all 4 of the single-day specialty classes, all of your herbal remedy-making supplies, field trips, medicinal plant restoration experience, class handouts, United Plant Savers Student Membership perks, and 34 hours of herbal instruction.
Save money with a single payment of $476
Register with a 3-payment plan. Make your first payment of $166 now and you will be invoiced for your 2 subsequent payments of the same amount due in September & October. $498.
- Class Dates:
- 13 Tuesdays: August 25 to November 17 (6 pm – 8 pm)
- 4 Saturdays: September 12 (10am – 1pm); either September 19 or 26 (TBA); October 17 (10 am – 12 pm); November 7 (10 am – 1 pm)
- Location: The Source at 1111 Carlisle SE
- Space is limited! Registration is required.
- Register below by choosing how you would like to pay.
Thanks to United Plant Savers
for sponsoring our student memberships!